Date of birth
August 23, 1953
Av. Madrid, 153
08028 Barcelona – Spain
- Medical Degree. School of Medicine. Autonomous University of Barcelona (1976)
- PhD. School of Medicine. Autonomous University of Barcelona (1982)
- Resident Physician. Dept. of Neurology, CSU de Bellvitge (Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona) (1978-81)
- Neuro-Oncology Fellowship. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York (USA) (1982-85)
- Staff Physician. Dept. of Neurology, Hospital Clínic, Barcelona (1986-95)
- Consultant. Dept. of Neurology, Hospital Clínic, Barcelona (1996-2000)
- Senior Consultant. Dept. of Neurology, Hospital Clínic, Barcelona (2001-present)
- Professor of Medicine. School of Medicine. University of Barcelona (2003-present)
- Chief. Dept. of Neurology, Hospital Clínic, Barcelona (2006-present)
- Member of the American Academy of Neurology (1985-present)
- Member of the American Neurological Association (2002- present)
- Member of the European Neurological Society (1988-present)
- Member of the Sociedad Española de Neurologia (1982-present)
- Member of the Societat Catalana de Neurologia (1982-present)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the European Association of Neuro-oncology (1998-1999
- Member of the Executive Board and Past President of the European Association of neuro-oncology (2000-2010)
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Journal of Neurology (1996-2004)
- Member of the Editorial Committee of European Journal of Neurology (1995-present)
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Lancet- Neurology (2001-present)
- Onconeural antibodies as markers of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes
- Characterization of antigens identified by onconeural antibodies
- Treatment protocols of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes
- Treatment protocols of primary brain lymphomas
- Prognostic factors in brain tumors
- 240 Original Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- 47 Editorials and review papers
- 39 Book Chapters
MAIN ACHIEVEMENTS IN NEUROIMMUNOLOGY
- Discovery of the following antibodies associated with paraneoplastic neurological syndromes (in order of importance):
Hu, Tr, SOX1, PKCy, CARP VIII, Homer3, BR serine/threonine kinase 2.s
- Principal or important contributor to de description of the clinical syndromes associated with: Hu, Tr, Ma2, GAD antibodies.
- Chairman of the task force to provide diagnostic criteria for paraneoplastic neurological disorders.
TOP-THEN PUBLICATIONS IN NEUROIMMUNOLOGY
1. Graus, F.; Elkon K.B.; Cordon-Cardo, C.; Posner, J.B. Sensory neuronopathy and small cell lung cancer. Antineuronal antibody that also reacts with the tumor. Am J Med 1986;80:45-52. Definite confirmation of the clinical value of Hu antibodies and first demonstration that onconeural antigens are expressed in brain and tumor.
2. Dalmau. J; Graus, F.; Rosenblum, MK.; Posner JB. Anti-Hu-associated paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis/sensory neuronopathy. A clinical study of 71 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992; 71:59-72. First clinical description of the anti-Hu syndrome
3. Graus, F.; Dalmau, J.; Reñé, R.; et al. Anti-Hu antibodies in patients with small cell lung cancer: association with complete response and survival.J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 2866-2872. Analysis of anti-Hu response in patients with isolated small cell lung cancer. This paper started the idea of onconeural immunity may benefit the clinical outcome of lung cancer
4. Honnorat J, Saiz A, Giometto B, Vincent A, Brieva L, de Andrés C, Maestre J, Fabien N, Vighetto A, Casamitjana R, Thivolet Ch, Tavolato B, Antoine JCh, Trouillas P, Graus F. Cerebellar ataxia with anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies. Arch Neurol 2001;58 : 225-230. Leader of a muticentric study to characterize the cerebellar syndrome associated with GAD antibodies. We had described the first patients in 1997.
5. Graus, F.; Keime-Guibert, F.; Reñé, R.; et al. Anti-Hu-associated paraneoplasic encephalomyelitis: analysis of 200 patients. Brain 2001;124:1138-1148. Largest published series of Hu patients with analysis of predictors of survival.
6. Bernal, F.; Shams’ili, S.; Rojas, I.; Sánchez-Valle, R.; Saiz, A.; Dalmau, J.; Honnorat, J.; Sillevis Smitt, P.; Graus, F. Anti-Tr antibodies as markers of paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration and Hodgkin’s disease. Neurology 2003;60:230-234. Description of the clinical syndrome of a series of 28 patients with anti-Tr antibodies that we had described in 1997.
7. Dalmau J.; Graus F.; Villarejo A. et al. Clinical analysis of anti-Ma2-associated encephalitis. Brain 2004;127:1831-1844. Characterization of the clinical syndrome based on a large series of patients with Ma2 antibodies
8. Graus F.; Delattre JY.; Antoine JC. et al. Recommended diagnostic criteria for paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 2004 ; 75:1135 –1140. First proposal of diagnostic criteria for paraneoplastic neurological syndromes
9. Sabater L.; Titulaer M.; Saiz A.; Verschuuren J.; Gure O.; Graus F. SOX1 antibodies are markers of paraneoplastic Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome. Neurology 2008; 70: 924-928. Publication of a new antibody that recognize patients with Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome who are paraneoplastic
10. Saiz A.; Blanco Y.; Sabater L.; Gonzalez F.; Bataller L.; Casamitjana R.; Ramió L.; Graus F. Spectrum of neurological syndromes associated with glutamic acid decarboylase antibodies: diagnostic clues for this association.Brain 2008; 71: 930-936. Description of new clinical syndromes associated with GAD antibodies and proposal of diagnostic criteria for cerebellar ataxia associated with these antibodies.
You may be interested
Abstract Book – ISNI2023stine - 7 September 2023
The Abstract Book from the 16th ISNI Congress in Quebec, August 20/24, 2023, is online in the Members' Area. If…
ISNI – Virtual Nice, France 2021stine - 29 August 2023
14th International Congress of Neuroimmunology
2nd Global Schools of Neuroimmunology Pre-Course
Three faculty positions at UBC to advance the cell therapies programstine - 29 August 2023
We are looking for early and/or mid, and advanced career candidates for the following faculty positions that are open to…