Date and place of birth: January 5th, 1975, Belgrade, Serbia
Residence: Belgrade, Serbia
University of Belgrade, School of Biology, Belgrade, Serbia
1999: BSc in Molecular Biology and Physiology.
2001: MSc in Immunology (thesis title: The influence of xenobiotics leflunomide and mycophenolic acid on inducible nitric oxide-gene expression in rat astrocytes and macrophages)
2002: PhD in Biology (Neuroimmunology) (thesis title: The role of interleukin-17 in the interaction between endothelial cells and lymphocytes).
1999: Research trainee, Laboratory for Immunology, Department of Neurobiology and Immunology, Institute for Biological Research “Sinisa Stankovic”, Belgrade
2001 – 2003: Assistant Researcher
2003 – 2008: Researcher
2006 – 2007: Post-doc position at the Max Planck Institute for Neurobiology, Martinsried, Germany at prof. Wekerle’s Department of Neuroimmunology
2008: Research Professor, Department of Immunology, Institute for Biological Research “Sinisa Stankovic”, Belgrade
2009 – 2010: Coordinator of a bilateral project founded by Serbian Ministry of Science and Education and German Academic Exhange Service. Project title: The role of the spleen in controlling T cell-mediated autoimmunity
2010: Neuroimmunology Group Leader
2010: Member of the Committee of COST Action BM1001, ECMNET, Brain Extracellular Matrix in Health and Disease
2011 – 2012: Coordinator of a bilateral project founded by Serbian Ministry of Science and Education and German Academic Exchange Service. Project title: Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis recovery mechanisms
2011: Project leader, Project title: Cellular and molecular mechanisms of recovery of rats from experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, granted by Serbian Ministry of Science and Education, grant N° 173035
Neuroimmunology. CNS-immune system interaction. Autoimmune response. Expertise in experimental autoimmune enchephalomyelitis, cellular immunology and in some aspects of molecular biology.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
1997 – 2001: Grant from the Foundation for Studies in Science and Art (Serbian Academy of Science and Art)
2006: Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, Germany)
2008: Return Fellowship and Equipment donation (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (OTHER ACTIVITIES)
A reviewer for the following journals: Acta Pharmacological Sinica, Brain Research, Neuroscience Letters, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Clinical and Experimental Immunology, Cytokine, British Journal of Pharmacology, Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, Nitric Oxide and for international grant proposals for the Board Medical Research Program, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Grants, The Eli and Edythe L. Broad Foundation, Los Angeles, California, USA and for Wetenschappelijk Fonds Willy Gepts, UZ Brussel, Belgium.
A member of the Serbian Immunological Society, the Serbian Biochemical Society, the Serbian Neuroscience Society, the Serbian Society for Mitochondrial and Free-Radical Physiology, the Serbian Biological Society, the Serbian Humboldt Club, the International Society of Neuroimmunology and the American Association of Immunologists.
A lecturer at the doctoral studies at the Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade (molecular immunology, autoimmunity, neuroimmunology, immunology and evolution).
An organizer of the institutional seminar at the Institute for Biological Research “Sinisa Stankovic”.
A volunteer for The MadSci Network, an organization for the improvement of scientific knowledge.
A member of the Scientific Committee for Biology founded by the Serbian Ministry of Science and Education.
LIST OF RECENT PUBLICATIONS
1. Nitric oxide inhibits CXCL12 expression in neuroinflammation. Petković F, Blaževski J, Momčilović M, Mostarica Stojkovic M, Miljković D. Immunol Cell Biol. 2013 Jun 4. doi: 10.1038/icb.2013.23.
2. High interleukin-10 expression within the central nervous system may be important for initiation of recovery of Dark Agouti rats from experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Blaževski J, Petković F, Momčilović M, Jevtic B, Miljković D, Mostarica Stojković M. Immunbiology. 2013 Apr 12. doi:pii: S0171-2985(13)00070-3. 10.1016/j.imbio.2013.04.004
3. CXCL12-γ expression is inhibited in neuroinflammation. Timotijević G, Petković F, Blaževski J, Momčilović M, Mostarica Stojković M, Miljković D. Brain Res 2013 May 4. doi:pii: S0006-8993(13)00638-0. 10.1016/j.brainres.2013.04.056.
4. Saquinavir-NO inhibits S6 kinase activity, impairs secretion of the encephalytogenic cytokines interleukin-17 and interfero-gamma and ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Petković F, Blaževski J, Momčilović M, Timotijević G, Zocca MB, Mijatović S, Maksimović-Ivanic D, Mangano K, Fagone P, Stošić-Grujičić S, Nicoletti F, Miljković D. J Neuroimmunol. 2013 Jun 15;259(1-2):55-65
5. Multiple sclerosis: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities. Miljkovic D, Spasojevic I. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013 Mar 9.
6. Betulinic acid regulates generation of neuroinflammatory mediators responsible for tissue destruction in multiple sclerosis in vitro. Blaževski J, Petković F, Momčilović M, Pasche R, Kaluđerović GN, Mostarica Stojković M, Miljković D. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2013 Mar;34(3):424-31.
7. CXCL12: role in neuroinflammation. Timotijević G, Mostarica Stojković M, Miljković D. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2012 Jun;44(6)838-41.
8. CXCL12 in control of neuroinflammation. Momcilović M, Mostarica-Stojković M, Miljković D. Immunol Res. 2012 Apr;52(1-2):53-63.
9. CXCL12 expression within the CNS contributes to the resistance against experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in Albino Oxford rats. Miljković D,m Stanojević Z, Momcilović M, Odoardi F, Flügel A, Mostarica-Stojković M. Immunobiology. 2011 Sep;216(9):979-87.
10. It is still not for the old iron: adjuvant effects of carbonyl iron in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis induction. Miljković D, Momčilović M, Stanojević Z, Rašić D, Mostarica-Stojković M. J Neurochem. 2011 Jul;118(2):205-14.
11. Astrocytes in the tempest of multiple sclerosis. Miljković D, Timotijević G, Stojković MM. FEBS Lett. 2011 Mar 31.
12. Dried leaf extract of Olea europaea ameliorates islet-directed autoimmunity in mice. Cvjetićanin T, Miljković D, Stojanović I, Dekanski D, Stosić-Grujicić S. Br J Nutr. 2010 May;103(10):1413-24.
13. Methylprednisolone inhibits IFN-gamma and IL-17 expression and production by cells infiltrating central nervous system in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Miljković Z, Momcilović M, Miljković D, Mostarica-Stojković M. J Neuroinflammation. 2009 Dec 11;6:37.
14. Effector T cell interactions with meningeal vascular structures in nascent autoimmune CNS lesions. Bartholomäus I, Kawakami N, Odoardi F, Schläger C, Miljkovic D, Ellwart JW, Klinkert WE, Flügel-Koch C, Issekutz TB, Wekerle H, Flügel A. Nature. 2009 Nov 5;462(7269):94-8.
15. T cells cooperate with palmitic acid in induction of beta cell apoptosis. Cvjetićanin T, Stojanović I, Timotijević G, Stosić-Grujicić S, Miljković D. BMC Immunol. 2009 May 22;10:29.
16. Dry olive leaf extract ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Miljković D, Dekanski D, Miljković Z, Momcilović M, Mostarica-Stojkovic M. Clin Nutr. 2009 Jun;28(3):346-50.
17. Strain difference in susceptibility to experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in rats correlates with T(H)1 and T(H)17-inducing cytokine profiles. Markovic M, Miljkovic D, Momcilovic M, Popadic D, Miljkovic Z, Savic E, Ramic Z, Mostarica Stojkovic M. Mol Immuno. 2009 Nov;47(1):141-6.
18. Kinetics of IFN-gamma and IL-17 expression and production in active experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in Dark Agouti rats. Momcilović M, Miljković Z, Popadić D, Miljković D, Mostarica-Stojković M. Neurosci Lett. 2008 Dec 12;447(2-3):148-52.
19. Methylprednisolone inhibits interleukin-17 and interferon-gamma expression by both naive and primed T cells. Momcilović M, Miljković Z, Popadić D, Marković M, Savić E, Ramić Z, Miljković D, Mostarica-Stojković M. BMC Immunol. 2008 Aug 12;9:47.
20. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor stimulates interleukin-17 expression and production in lymph node cells. Stojanović I, Cvjetićanin T, Lazaroski S, Stosić-Grujicić S, Miljković D. Immunology. 2009 Jan;126(1):74-83.
21. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) is necessary for progression of autoimmune diabetes mellitus. Stosic-Grujicic S, Stojanovic I, Maksimovic-Ivanic D, Momcilovic M, Popadic D, Harhaji L, Miljkovic D, Metz C, Mangano K, Papaccio G, Al-Abed Y, Nicoletti F. J Cell Physiol. 2008 Jun;215(3):665-75.
22. Astrocytes stimulate interleukin-17 and interferon-gamma production in vitro. Miljkovic D, Momcilovic M, Stojanovic I, Stosic-Grujicic S, Ramic Z, Mostarica-Stojkovic M. J Neurosci Res. 2007 Dec;85(16):3598-606.
23. A potent immunomodulator compound, (S,R)-3-Phenyl-4,5-dihydro-5-isoxazole acetic acid, prevents aspontaneous and accelerate forms of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice and inhibits the immunoinflammatory diabetes induced by multiple low doses of streptozotocin in CBA/H mice. Stosic-Grujicic S, Cvetkovic I, Mangano K, Fresta M, Maksimovic-Ivanic D, Harhaji L, Popadic D, Momcilovic M, Miljkovic D, Kim J, Al-Abed Y, Nicoletti F. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007 Mar;320(3):1038-49.
You may be interested
Roberto Furlanstine - 21 January 2022
Head of Clinical Neuroimmunology UnitInstitute of Experimental NeurologyINSpe Division of NeuroscienceSan Raffaele HospitalMilan | ItalyRoberto Furlan graduated in medicine at…
Quintana, Franciscoedgardo - 31 December 2021
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School (Boston (MA), USA)