Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield
Phone: 0114 225 3065
fax: 0114 225 3064
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 1972 – 1975Chelsea College, University of London, BSc Biochemistry – First Class Honours
- 1975 – 1978Chelsea College, University of London, PhD Biochemistry
- 1994 – 1995Sheffield Hallam University Postgraduate Certificate in Further and Higher Education
- 1983 – 1990Research Assistant, Multiple Sclerosis Society Laboratory, Institute of Neurology
- 1981 – 1983Research Assistant, Muscular Dystrophy Lab., Institute of Neurology
- 1980 – 1981Research Assistant, Biochemistry Dept., Imperial College, London
- 1978 – 1980Postdoctoral Fellow of the Muscular Dystrophy Association of America,
Anatomy Dept., University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- 2004 – presentHead of Biomedical Research Centre
- 2004 – presentProfessor in Neuroimmunology, SHU
- 1998 – 2001Principal Lecturer in Immunology, SHU
- 1994 – 1998Senior Lecturer in Immunology, Sheffield Hallam University (SHU)
- 1991 -1994Honorary Lecturer, Institute of Neurology, London
- 2004 – presentHead of Biomedical Research Centre
- 2006 – 2009Neurology Department, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust.
An investigation of the functional role of ADAM17 in human astrocyte and endothelial cells £70,000
- 2006 – 2009Joint award from Cardiology Department, Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Sheffield Hallam University.
Role of fractalkine in atherosclerosis. £70,000.
- 2007 – 2009Sheffield Hospitals Charitable Trust. Effect of immunomodulatory treatment on migration
of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with MS to intact and truncated chemokines.
(Awarded to Woodroofe and Sharrack) £50,000
- 2008 – 2010Multiple Sclerosis Society. An investigation into the functional role of ADAM17
in MS pathogenesis using viral vector knockdown in vitro and in chronic relapsing
Experimental autoimmune Encephalomyelitis (CREAE). (£103,000).
- 2008 – 2011COLIPA (The European Cosmetic and Toiletry and Perfumary Association). Direct tissue profiling and imaging by Mass Spectrometry as a novel method for the investigation of the inflammatory signals induced. (€543,666) (Awarded to MR Clench and N Woodroofe)
- 2008 – 2011Multiple Sclerosis Society. The role of citrullination of CNS proteins
in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. (£105K). (Awarded to N Woodroofe and A Cross).
RECENT PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL
- Dhungana S, Sharrack B,Woodroofe N (2009). Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Acta Neurol Scand, 121, 71-82.
- Dhungana S, Sharrack B,Woodroofe N (2009). IL-1 beta, TNF and IP-10 in the cerebrospinal fluid and serum are not altered in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension compared to controls. Clinical Endocrinology, 71: 896-698.
- Denney H, Clench MR,Woodroofe MN (2009). Cleavage of chemokines CCL2 and CXCL10 by matrix metalloproteinases-2 and -9: implications for chemotaxis. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 382(2): 341-347.
- Hurst L.A., Bunning, R. A. D., Couraud, P-O., Romero, I. A., Weksler, B. B., Sharrack, B.,Woodroofe, M. N. (2009). Expression of ADAM-17, TIMP-3 and fractalkine in the human adult brain endothelial cell line, hCMEC/D3, following pro-inflammatory cytokine treatment. J Neuroimmunol. 120 (1-2): 108-112.
- Taylor D, Dalton C, Hall A,Woodroofe MN, Gardiner PHE (2009). Recent developments in selenium research. British Journal of Biomedical Science 66(2): 107-116.
- Dhungana SW, Waters P, Ismail A,Woodroofe N, Vincent Angela, Sharrack B. Absence of aquaporin-4 antibodies in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Journal of Neurology. 257(7), 1211-1212
- Hadjivassiliou M, Aeschlimann D, Gruenewald RA, Sanders DS, Sharrack B,Woodroofe N. GAD antibody-associated neurological illness and its relationship to gluten sensitivity. Acta Neurol Scand. Clinical Neurology 123(3), 175-180
- Waller R,Woodroofe MN, Francese S, Heath PR, Simpson JE (2012). Isolation of enriched glial populations from post-mortem human CNS material by immuno-laser caputre microdissection. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 208: 108-113
- Fouillet A, Mawson J, Suliman O, Sharrack B, Romero IA,Woodroofe N (2012) Effects of an exercise and hypocaloric healthy eating program on biomarkers associated with long-term prognosis after early-stage breasdt cancer; a randomized controlled trial. Brain Research 1437: 115-126
- Scott E, Daley AJ, Doll H,Woodroofe N, Coleman RE, Mutrie N, Crank H, Powers HJ, Saxton JM (2013). Effects of an exercise and hypocaloric healthy eating program on biomarkers associated with long-term prognosis after early-stage breasdt cancer: a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Causes & Control, 24: 181-191
You may be interested
1 Primera Escuela Cubana de Neuroimmunologiastine - 27 Giugno 2019
The 1st Cuban School of Neuroimmunology was a great success. See program. [siteorigin_widget class="WP_Widget_Media_Gallery"][/siteorigin_widget]
Obituary Prof. Rogier Q. Hintzen, MD, PhD (1963-2019)stine - 12 Giugno 2019
On May 15th, neurologist and immunologist Rogier Hintzen passed away after a short battle with pancreatic cancer. Rogier performed groundbreaking…
Laval University – Research Assistant in Neuroimmunologystine - 12 Giugno 2019
Research projects Regulatory B cells in a new model of multiple sclerosis B cells contribute to multiple sclerosis (MS); depleting…